One of the greatest things about the romance genre (other than the swoony feels, the witty banter, the steamy sexytimes, and the happily-ever-afters) is the vast number of tropes we get to enjoy. With everything from enemies-to-lovers, to secret babies, to May-December romances, and more, there is something for everyone!
I recently polled the people who receive my newsletter to find out their favorites, and they could pick as many as they wanted. Here are the results!
*Note: results are slightly skewed because about 8 people took the survey before someone clued me in that I’d accidentally made it a “choose one” form instead of a “check off as many as you like” form. Oops!
- 55.3% – protector/bodyguard
- 50.6% – enemies to lovers
- 47.1% – friends to lovers
- 44.7% – second chance
- 44.7% – close proximity (trapped, snowed in)
- 37.6% – secret baby
- 37.6% – forbidden love
- 32.9% – fake relationship
- 28.2% – marriage of convenience
- 23.5% – May December (with one person specifying they especially like when the heroine is the December and the hero is the May)
WRITE-INS – These are the ones I didn’t include in the survey, which people helpfully added for me:
- best friend’s sibling/sibling’s best friend
- reverse harem (3 people specifically mentioned this one)
- military men
- slavery turns to romance
- fated mates
- mainly shifter stories (2 people specifically mentioned shifters)
- doctor/patient, teacher/student (anything with a professional role and a person they’re supposed to serve/interact with professionally)
- time travel
In case you’re curious, my favorites are second-chance and friends-to-lovers. I love it when there’s an existing connection between the hero and heroine because I like mining those backstories.
And obviously I love shifters, and reverse harem as well!
Thank you to everyone who participated in the poll! ❤
2 thoughts on “Our Favorite Tropes”
Are there any midlife awakening types? Like, say, post divorce middle aged women who find new love?
Just curious. I recently came up on a whole bunch of blogs of these types of women looking for love and I wonder if this is a contemporary thing…
If there’s a name for this, I haven’t heard of it! It sounds delightful, though. Maybe someone else will chime in who knows. Or you could give this a name & say you invented it. 😉